“WIN A HOTEL PACKAGE” SWEEPSTAKES
NO PURCHASE REQUIRED TO ENTER OR WIN. MAKING A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY.
Detroit Newspaper Partnership L.P. d/b/a Michigan.com (“Sponsor”), 7950 Jones Branch Drive, McLean, Virginia 22107.
The “Win A Hotel Package Sweepstakes” (the “Sweepstakes”) is open only to persons who are legal residents and physically reside within the fifty (50) United States (or the District of Columbia) who are eighteen (18) years of age or older or the age of majority at the time of entry (each, the Entrant, and, collectively, the “Entrants”). Employees, contractors or interns of Sponsor and its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates, divisions and agents and those prize providers and advertising and promotion agencies that are involved in the development or execution of this Sweepstakes or any of its materials, and the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of each such person are not eligible to enter the Sweepstakes. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Agreement to Official Rules
By participating in the Sweepstakes and submitting an Entry (as defined below), the Entrant fully and unconditionally agrees to and accepts these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Sweepstakes.
The Sweepstakes begins at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on January 1, 2021 and ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on July 5, 2021 (the “Entry Period”).
How to Enter
There are two (2) ways to enter the Sweepstakes:
Auto Entry With Marathon Registration
Any individual who registers to participate in the 2021 Detroit Free Press Marathon (the “Marathon”) during the Entry Period will receive one (1) entry into the Sweepstakes drawing (the “Registration Entry”.
Free Method of Entry (No Marathon registration)
During the Entry Period, to enter without registering for the Marathon, the Entrant should enter online at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1J0Umk9VlXp9XSQNyC-zxZ37rMNFt2tSrA-EqjVBMSck/edit (the “Free Entry”). For each Free Entry, the Entrant will receive one (1) entry in the Sweepstakes drawing.
Throughout these Official Rules, the Registration Entry and the Free Entry will together be referred to as the “Entry” or “Entries”.
Entry Limit: One (1) Entry per person during the Entry Period, regardless of method of entry. All Entries that are in excess of the stated limits may be disqualified from the Sweepstakes in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to void all Entries made through any robotic, automatic, mechanically programmed or similar entry duplication method and to disqualify any Entrant using such methods. Any questions regarding the number of Entries submitted shall be determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion.
Multiple Entrants are not permitted to share the same email address or mobile phone number. “Account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. A potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder, in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion.
Sponsor shall have the right, at any time and in its sole discretion, to immediately disqualify any Entrant if Sponsor determines or suspects that the Entrant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes by cheating, hacking, deception, tampering or other fraudulent, deceptive, or unfair playing practices.
Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost, tampered with, deleted or misdirected Entries that are not timely received or are lost due to computer or electronic malfunctions or other error. Assurance of delivery of the Entry is the sole responsibility of the Entrant.
On or about July 8, 2021, Sponsor will select one (1) winner (the “Winner”) in a random drawing from all Entries received during the Entry Period (the “Drawing”).
Odds of Winning
The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible Entries received by Sponsor during the Entry Period, as detailed above.
The Winner will be awarded the following prize package (the “Package”):
- One (1) night hotel stay for Saturday, October 16, 2021 (one-room, double–occupancy) at a hotel within close proximity to the start and finish line of the Marathon in Detroit, Michigan selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion, based on availability;
- Invitation to the VIP Breakfast on Sunday, October 17, 2021 before the start of the Marathon; and
- $100 gift certificate to the New Balance/Playmakers exhibit area at the Health and Fitness Expo at the Marathon
The approximate retail value (“ARV”) of the Package is $500.00. The actual retail value of the Package awarded to the Winner may vary depending on market conditions, changes in hotel rates and other reasons. Sponsor is not responsible for and the Winner will not receive the difference between the actual value of the Package at the time of award and the stated ARV.
- No substitution or transfer of the Package will be allowed, except at the sole discretion of Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value.
- The Package has no cash value and may not be redeemed for cash at any time.
- If any portion of the Package is not redeemed and used by the Winner, no additional compensation will be awarded and that portion of the Package will be forfeited in its entirety.
- The Package does not include in-room charges, meals, taxes, insurance, telephone charges, personal expenses, laundry services, spa treatments, tips and gratuities, incidental charges, parking, or any other item not specifically described in these Official Rules, and all expenses for any of the foregoing are the responsibility of the Winner.
- Winner may be required to provide a major credit card upon hotel check-in or prior thereto and all in-room charges will be charged to the credit card. Any damage to the room, and/or any other venue related to the prize, attributed to the Winner and/or his/her guests will be the responsibility of the Winner. Sponsor is not responsible for the availability or proper functioning of any hotel feature or amenity and no credit or compensation will be awarded by Sponsor with respect thereto.
- No compensation will be given for lost, stolen, mutilated or expired gift certificates. Sponsor is not responsible for replacing lost, stolen, mutilated or expired gift certificates. Fulfillment of gift certificates is the sole responsibility of the merchant, not Sponsor. The gift certificate must be surrendered upon redemption and no photocopies or reproductions will be honored.
All local, state and federal taxes incurred by accepting a prize will be the sole responsibility of the Winner. Any person winning over $600 in prizes during any one (1) year period will receive an IRS Form 1099 at the end of the calendar year, and a copy of such form will be filed with the IRS.
Notification of the Winner
The Winner will be notified within five (5) business days after the Drawing in accordance with the contact information supplied by the Entrant at the time of entry (“Prize Notification”). Prize Notification is deemed to have occurred immediately upon the placing of a phone call or sending of an e-mail or any other form of communication Sponsor may use to contact a potential Winner. Sponsor is not obligated to leave a voice mail or any other type of message. If a potential prize winner does not respond to the Prize Notification within five (5) business days after the Prize Notification, Sponsor may select an alternate winner in a random drawing from all remaining eligible Entries for that Drawing. Sponsor reserves the right to modify Prize Notification procedures in connection with the selection of any alternate potential winner, if any.
The potential Winner must sign and have notarized an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability and Publicity Release (the “Affidavit”), as well as any other documentation required by Sponsor in its sole discretion, within five (5) business days following the date of first attempted notification regarding the documentation in order to be eligible to accept the prize. Failure to sign and return to Sponsor such forms within the requisite timeframe may result in disqualification, and an alternate winner may be selected in a random drawing from all remaining eligible Entries.
All potential prize winners are subject to verification and the potential winner’s full compliance with these Official Rules before any prize will be awarded.
Waivers, Disclaimers and Releases
By participating in this Sweepstakes, each Entrant agrees to release, discharge and hold harmless Sponsor and its divisions, affiliates, parent companies, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies and its respective directors, officers, employees and agents (collectively, the “Sweepstakes Entities”) from and against any and all claims, liability, costs, losses, damages or injuries of any kind arising out of or related to an Entrant’s participation in this Sweepstakes and/or related to any prize (including, without limitation, losses, damages or injuries to Entrant’s or any other person’s equipment or other property, or to their persons, related to participation in this Sweepstakes; or arising out of any violation of rights of publicity or privacy, or claims of defamation or portrayal in a false light; or based on any claim of infringement of intellectual property; or from any typographical, human or other error in the printing, offering, selection, operation or announcement of any Sweepstakes activity and/or prize).
Entrant agrees that: (a) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes or any prizes awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate Michigan State Court; and (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Sweepstakes, but in no event attorneys’ fees. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the Entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Michigan, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Michigan or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Michigan.
Entrant’s Personal Information
- The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules or the Affidavit will not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision of the Official Rules or the Affidavit is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, the other provisions will remain in effect and will be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of the Official Rules will not constitute a waiver of that provision. When terms such as “may” are used in the Official Rules, Sponsor has sole and absolute discretion. Entrants agree to waive any rights to claim ambiguity of the Official Rules.
- Headings are solely for convenience of reference and will not be deemed to affect in any manner the meaning or intent of the documents or any provision hereof.
- This Sweepstakes is not intended for gambling. If it is determined that an Entrant is using the Sweepstakes for gambling purposes, he/she will be disqualified and reported to authorities.
Sponsor will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in other materials relating to the Sweepstakes.
- Sponsor reserves the right to change, alter, or amend these Official Rules as necessary, in its sole discretion, to ensure the fair administration of the Sweepstakes or to comply with applicable law.
- Any and all decisions of Sponsor regarding the Sweepstakes are final.
Name of Winner
To obtain the name of the Sweepstakes winner, contact Barbara Bennage, Executive Race Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 1, 2021.
Any questions on this Sweepstakes should be directed to Barbara Bennage, Executive Race Director, at email@example.com.