What is a virtual race?
Can’t make it to Detroit for the running of the 45th Detroit Free Press Marathon? Don’t worry, you can still run virtually in one of our events in 2022.
A virtual race allows you to participate in the Detroit Free Press Marathon from the comfort of your neighborhood — on the day and time of your choosing. We will mail your race packet directly to your door.
Once you have completed your race, you can log in to a results page to upload your time — and to be included in the virtual leaderboard. If you upload selfies you took along the way, you’ll be able to add official Detroit Free Press Marathon filters and stickers. Instructions on uploading your time and photos will be sent via email as October approaches.
Here are the virtual races we’re featuring this year:
• Full Marathon
• Marathon Team Relay
• The Supreme (Full Marathon, 5K and 1-Mile)
• The Wonder (Half-Marathon, 5K and 1-Mile)
• The Temptation (5K and 1-Mile)
Virtual race packets
We’ll begin shipping race packets on Oct. 3, 2022, with the goal that all virtual participants will have them by the in-person race weekend (Oct. 14-16). Please note that international shipments may experience longer delivery times.
What’s included in the race packets?
• Premium custom technical long sleeve shirt
• Finishers medal
• Race bib
• Access to official leaderboard
• Additional elements to help bring the race day experience to life. Full details will be released at a later date.