Enhanced Safety Policies
The Detroit Free Press/Talmer Bank Marathon, in partnership with the Detroit Police, local, state, federal and international agencies, will be taking additional security and safety precautions at our event. These additional security precautions may or may not be visible to event attendees and will be implemented to create the safest environment possible for the public, volunteers and participants on race weekend.
In order to maximize the safety of the public during the Detroit Free Press/Talmer Bank Marathon we need your support. Please review the following security-related items:
- Participants are asked not to bring or wear backpacks or duffle bags to the Detroit Free Press/Talmer Bank Marathon event. Please be aware that all bags and backpacks will be subject to search by security personnel.
- Backpacks or duffle bags will not be accepted at Gear Check. Only the clear bags, which will be distributed to participants at packet pickup, will be accepted at Gear Check.
- Additional security measures have been added to the course. At the event start line on Fort Street, only participants with a runners’ bib will be allowed to enter the corrals.
- Participants will only be allowed to enter the corrals in which they are assigned; Corral assignments are clearly posted on the front of each runner’s bib.
- Do not leave bags, backpacks or items left unattended. Any bags or items left unattended will be removed by security personnel.
It is the goal and intention of the Detroit Free Press/Talmer Bank Marathon to ensure a safe environment for our community and family event. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
See Something Say Something
Event attendees are encouraged to report any suspicious activity or information to the nearest event security personnel. If you see suspicious activity, please report it to your the police department. If you are experiencing an emergency, please call 911.
Additional Helpful Links
Preventing Terrorism: http://www.dhs.gov/preventing-terrorism
Seven Signs of Terrorism: http://www.homelandsecurity.ms.gov/docs/msaic_seven_signs_terrorism.pdf
Suspicious Package Checklist: http://hsema.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/hsema/release_content/attachments/20982/Susp_Mail_DHS.PDF